Tuesday, December 6, 2011

_
Sometimes at bedtime, when the boys were younger I used to sing that old Cat Stevens song, Moonshadow.


"I'm being followed by a moonshadow -- moonshadow, moonshadow
Leaping and hopping on a moonshadow -- moonshadow, moonshadow


If I ever lose my eyes, if my colors all run dry,
Yes if I ever lose my eyes I won't have to cry no more."


And over time we made up our own verses of the song:


"If I ever lose my ears, the words and music I just can't hear,
Yes if I ever lose my ears I won't have to listen no more.


If I ever lose my tongue, my words and music go unsung,
Yes if I ever lose my tongue I won't have to yell no more

I'm being followed by a moonshadow . . . 


And if I ever lose my nose, can't smell compost, can't smell a rose,
Yes if I ever lose my nose I won't have to sneeze no more.

If I ever lose my belly, can't eat peanut butter, can't eat jelly,
Yes, if I ever lose my belly, I won't have to eat no more.


I'm being followed by a moonshadow . . . 


If I ever lose my mind, lost in space and lost in time,
Yes if I ever lose my mind I won't have to think no more


If I ever lose my way, where I'm bound I just can't say,
Yes if I ever lose my way I won't have to plan no more."
_

3 comments:

  1. Andryukha! So funny-- we used to do this, too. But none of our added verses were as clever as yours.

    I must add that this song always reminds me of you and Monica, because of that full moon overnight in the Tien Shan at that cabin, near Christmastime, with the whole gang! (Do you know which one I'm talking about?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saratchka! Of course I remember, moonshadows on frozen waterfalls. And I have a memory of you thigh deep in snow wanting to peer round just one more corner of some alpine canyon.

    Ah, Monica is pining for her mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Monica they're still here, waiting for her!

    ReplyDelete